From Graft to Glass, We Serve Cider
Founded by pioneering New York cider makers with leadership from agricultural non-profit Glynwood, the New York Cider Association was created in 2015 to foster community amongst and act as the collective voice and organizing body for apple growers and cider makers throughout the state.
The mission of the NYCA is to:
• support producers of fermented cider and the New York cider making industry in its vital role as an economic engine for agriculture, manufacturing, and tourism;
• build a market for New York cider made from New York apples;
• advocate for the New York cider industry through education, research, and communication; promote New York State as a world class cider producing region;
• and support the work of regional cider alliances within New York State.
Activities in 2017
Research & Education Committee
- Develop a dryness scale, working with our members and partners to include tannin in our definition; develop a tasting trial, and develop a recommended scale for reflecting perceived dryness and sweetness
- Identify where NYCA’s outlook aligns with that of growers and nurseries
- Explore potential for NYCA to tap into the $1.6B D2C sales that small wineries (>50K cases) saw in 2016 through collective promotion as legislation around online sales and shipping evolves
- Produce CWHV, CWFLX and CWNYC, looking ahead to CWWNY in 2018
- Develop a position on shipping and ingredient regulations, craft an agenda for a Lobby Day to see our position activated in NYS.
At our inaugural General Meeting in February 2016 we elected a Board of Directors primarily composed of growers and makers. One-third of the Board positions will be up for election each year; elections take place in person at our annual General Meeting. Our Board shares an interest in promoting the cider industry and a passion for fine cider.
2017-2018 Board of Directors
• President: David DeFisher, Rootstock Ciderworks/DeFisher Fruit Farms, Williamson, NY
• Vice President: Dan Wilson, Slyboro Cider House, Granville, NY
• Treasurer: Scott Donovan, BlackBird Ciderworks, Barker, NY
• Karl duHoffmann, Orchard Hill Cider Mill, New Hampton, NY
• Sara Grady, Glynwood, Cold Spring, NY
• Ian Merwin, Black Diamond Cider, Trumansburg, NY
• Jonathan Oakes, SteamPunk Cider, Medina, NY
• Elizabeth Ryan, Hudson Valley Farmhouse Cider, Staatsburg, NY
• Jacob Lagoner, Embark Ciderworks, Williams, NY
Jenn’s leadership of NYCA draws on her background in marketing and strategic planning, her commitment to bringing people together around the pleasures of the table, and the relationships she developed in her role as Producer of Cider Week HV and NYC. Prior to working with NYCA, Jenn produced events and worked in consultation with entrepreneurs in the food space, and for five years served as the GM of Astor Center, the culinary center associated with Astor Wines & Spirits.
NYCA on New York Cider
The formation of the NYCA was envisioned and supported as an initiative of The Cider Project, part of Glynwood's Hudson Valley Food program. We are grateful to Glynwood for its ongoing support.